Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Would you save five people's lives by allowing one person to die?

You are by a railroad track. A car is rolling down the track towards a broken bridge and a fifty foot drop. There are five people in that car. You can pull a level to redirect the train onto another track, but a deaf man is walking on that track with his back to the speeding train-car. Would you pull the lever, saving five people and dooming that one man? Or let the car drive off the cliff, killing the five men?



Would you save five people's lives by allowing one person to die?windows mobile 6



This is one of several famous questions in "experimental ethics". It has been answered by over 70,000 people on the BBC's web site (though the site is not showing the correct totals right now). There are a number of other interesting scenarios.



Luckily, most people never have to make these kinds of decisions. Whatever you choose it would probably haunt you for the rest of your life.



It is interesting that the sure-fire fallback of many people on questions of ethics -- the Bible -- is absolutely no help in solving this dilemma.



Would you save five people's lives by allowing one person to die?microsoft office 2003 internet explorer



do not cast pearls before swine
I hate trains! I live next to Railroad crossing.... let that train roll on...
I'd feel guilty about it for the rest of my life, but I'd kill the man to save the five other people. no one's life is worth five other peoples life. the only exception would be if the blind man were a child.
Depends is the deaf guy my friend/ family and the train holds men like George Bush and Osama bin Laden.



I'd save the deaf guy and let the others go off the cliff.



If they all were strangers and I didn't know any of them I'd save the five people on the train.
If i didn't know any of them, then the car would be saved. If I knew any of them, it would all depend on who pissed me off. If there are children involved, the children get saved, even if it was one to many, the one child would be saved. If it were my child... there would not even be a hesitation of question - I will kill for my children.
I THINK I WOULD SAVE THE ONE GUY THATS DEAF,HE IS UNAWARE OF WHAT IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN TO HIM,AS FOR THE OTHERS I THINK THEY CAN SAVE THEMSELVES BY GETTING OUT OF THE CAR. ON THE OTHER HAND,A WISE MAN ONCE SAID THE NEEDS OF MANY OUTWEIGHS THE NEEDS OF THE FEW,THATS REALLY A HARD QUESTION.
I'd pull the lever. The deaf man would detect the oncoming train through vibrations in his feet.
let the train gooooo. the people in the car are pretty dumb...
i dont know, how about all of the parties die,i mean animals die in harsh and cruel ways and people think its funny, so i dont care for any humans to suffer pain because humans make animals suffer, i am sorry if you find my answer disgusting..o well, deal

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
nortin